Better prepare yourself for your job interview
Every job interview is different, so here at 1st Choice Jobs, we have devised a selection of typical interview questions that you may be asked. It may also be useful to think of some answers that you would give to these in advance to make a strong impression on your potential employer in the interview.
- What do you know about us? – This gives you an ideal opportunity to show that you have fully researched the company
- Why do you want to work for us? – Maybe they are in your chosen sector or offer a structured career path
- What attracts you to this role? – Highlight specifics within the job spec that would suit your career goals
- What are you looking for in a new role? – Is this something this company can offer? The interviewer is trying to see that your goals are a good match for the company
- What are your short and long term goals? – Talk about your wider ambitions and goals, but ideally contextualise these into the organisation that you are looking to join
- Why are you looking to leave your current / last role? – The interviewer is trying to understand what motivates you. Try not to be negative about your current or past employer
- Tell us about yourself – Instead of just focusing on your CV you could tell them a little about your personality and what ambitions you have
- What would your current colleagues say about your character and abilities? – The interviewer is trying to find out how you interact with people, which is important in any role. Try to keep answers positive and ideally incorporate a small story
- Can you tell us about an accomplishment you are proud of?- This is giving you the opportunity to highlight a story to the interviewer and gives the interviewer an idea of your character, skills, interests and what you value highly
- What are your biggest strengths and weaknesses? – Don’t just give adjectives such as ‘hardworking’. Try to give examples. Do not say you haven’t got any weaknesses, instead give examples of areas that you would like to improve in; maybe an area you have trained in, but not yet had the chance to use in a commercial environment. This shows willingness for self-improvement
- Do you have any questions?
Questions to ask the interviewer during an interview
Always have at least one question prepared in advance
- What are the company’s plans for the next 5 years
- What are the company’s expectations of me in the 1st month? 3 months? 6 months?
- How did I do in the interview?
- Do you have any concerns over my fit for the role ?
- When would I expect to hear back from you ?
- Maybe pick up on something that has been mentioned in passing. This shows you have been paying attention
- How would you describe the company’s culture?
- Are there any training opportunities?
DO NOT ASK ABOUT PAY AND BENEFITS AT THIS STAGE
Looking for a new IT job?
Here at 1st Choice Jobs our aim is to help you make the next step in your career. We are one of the leading Kent IT recruitment agencies with over 30 years experience. For more information on advertising a role or applying for a new IT position contact our team today on 01303 813 399.